Tuesday 1 April 2008

Sinar f2 arrives

The Sinar f2 camera I bought on eBay arrived today. The package included the following items:
  • 1x Sinar f2 Monorail Camera
  • 1x Sinar Symmar-S f5.6/150mm Lens
  • 1x Sinar Lens Shade
  • 1x Polaroid 545 Holder
  • 14x Lisco Double Film Holders
  • 1x Change Bag
As the description in the eBay ad read, this is all the equipment required to get up running in large format photography. Let's examine each item in detail.

Sinar f2 Monorail Camera
As mentioned in earlier blogs, the Sinar f2 camera is an ideal camera for outdoor and studio photography. As I will be taking photographs both in the forest and on a lightbox in the studio, the f2 covers all my needs. f2's are lightweight affordable, and their components are fully system-compatible with other Sinar Cameras including 8X10 and digital backs.

The camera arrived broken down into it's constituent parts:
  • 411.21 Rail Clamp 1
  • 422.21 Basic Rail 12″/30cm
  • 429.21 2 Rail Caps
  • 431.61 Front Standard f2
  • 433.66 Rear Standard f2 4x5″/10x12.5cm
  • 454.11 Multipurpose Bellows 4x5″/10x12.5cm
  • 461.36 Holder/Focusing Back 4x5″/10x12.5cm
  • 531.41 Lensboard Holder
What at first appeared to be a daunting array of parts proved to be easier to put together than I first thought. However, rather than reflecting any competence on my part, the ease of which I put it together reflects the simplicity and modularity of the Swiss design. Having assembled the camera I was able to test the movements and fell comfortable with it's use within minutes. What impressed me straight away is the precise nature of the movements and foolproof lock down.

Having given up some of the geared movements of the Toyo 45G I previously hired, the ability to firmly lock down the movements came as a welcome trade off. The other item that immediately impressed me was the condition of the bellows. The Toyo bellows was frayed and prone to light leaks. The Sinar bellows is a sturdy plastic, what it lacks in aesthetics it more than makes up up in light proofness.

Sinar Symmar-S f5.6/150mm Lens
I haven't had the opportunity to test the lens out as yet, but as I understand it has good coverage and appears to be in excellent condition. As a landscape photographer within the confines of a forest, the 150mm lens is likely to become my standard lens. As it arrived without out without a cable release, I will purchase one tomorrow along with a 1/2" adapter for my tripod head quick release.

Sinar Lens Shade
The lens shade provides protection from lens flare, deepens contrast and protects the lens from rain.

Polaroid 545 Holder
Alas poor Polaroid this item is of historical interest only unless Fuji proves to be a White Knight. If Type 55 had been readily available, I might have considered it to be my format of choice for the Barmah Forest Project. Ansel Adams must be rolling over in his grave with the loss of the film he helped develop back in the 1950's. As it turns out, I have two sheets of Type 55 sheets left and I can always use the holder as a backup for my Fuji Quickload and for Kodak ReadyLoads should I have the need.

Lisco Double Film Holders
The Lisco Double Film Holders are traditional sheet film holders. While not as convenient to use as Quickloads, the film is half the price. Given the number of images I am considering for the project, cost is a real consideration. What I will probably end up doing is loading up the Lisco's at home and using the Quickloads as a lightweight backup in the field. I can also see myself using the Lisco's in the studio when I am shooting images on the lightbox.

Change Bag
This nifty device will allow me to load the Lisco's either at home or in the field. Sure beats the sleeping bag that Ansel Adams used to use. The item appears to be in good nick, like all the rest of the equipment supplied by the seller.

All in all I'm quietly pleased with my purchase, I hope to get out this weekend and and put the kit through it's paces.

No comments: